Don’t let Virginia Uranium, Inc. Poison Our Drinking Water
WHAT: Public meeting of Governor McDonnell’s Uranium Working Group
WHEN: Tuesday, Nov 27, Plan on arriving at 5:30 PM, meeting starts 6 PM
WHERE: Virginia Science Museum, 2500 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23220 (Click here for map.)
- After the National Academy of Sciences found that uranium mining in Virginia posed “steep hurdles” to regulating this inherently dangerous industry,
- After Hurricanes Irene and Sandy and even an earthquake reminded us that the storage of uranium waste is extremely difficult,
- Even after Virginia Beach Mayor Sessoms, a Republican, and Norfolk Mayor Fraim, a Democrat wrote a joint OpEd opposing uranium mining because of the unacceptable risk it poses to the drinking water of over one million people downstream, we still have the Governor’s Uranium Work Group developing a regulatory framework to permit uranium mining which would effectively over turn a ban on mining that has been in place for almost 30 years.
We need your help to Keep the Ban on uranium mining in Virginia. Here is what you can do!
- Please attend the public meeting on Tues, Nov 27. We’ll have Keep the Ban stickers and 100 Keep the Ban t-shirts - all available on a first-come basis.
- Visit KeeptheBan.org for more details and to sign our online petition.
We apologize, but this action is no longer available. Please visit our Action Center for current opportunities: www.sierraclub.org/takeaction