Host a house party September 2 and celebrate wilderness!
Since President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Wilderness Act into law in 1964, over 750 wilderness areas have been designated from coast to coast, from Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to 1.5 million acres of Florida's Everglades.
Americans have used the Wilderness Act to preserve nearly 110 million acres of public lands in their natural state for everyone to enjoy -- but there are still so many deserving wild lands that must be protected.
The more people know about why wilderness matters the more they will do to protect these special places!
That's why the Sierra Club is teaming up with the Smithsonian Channel to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act and to get the word out about how we can protect more of America's wild lands!
Sign up to host a house party on September 2.
You will have the opportunity to join in a discussion with Sierra Club Executive Director, Michael Brune about the Wilderness Act and his recent trip to the stunning Arcitc National Wildlife Refuge. You will also get an advance screening of the Smithsonian Channel's special Wilderness episode of Aerial America! We make hosting a house party easy. You will be provided all the materials you need to have a successful event after you sign up including a step-by-step guide, a DVD of the Smithsonian video and a follow-up call to answer any questions you might have.
HOUSE PARTY EVENT DETAILS:
WHO: Friends, family, Sierra Club, Smithsonian Channel and you!
WHAT: Wilderness Act 50th Anniversary Celebration House Party
WHEN: Tuesday, September 2 at 5pm PST, 6pm MST, 7pm CST, 8pm EST
WHERE: Your house!
We recommend you allow for about two hours for your house party. This will allow time for socializing. See the sample house party agenda below.
1) 10-15 mins -- Welcome, mingle and short introduction
2) 20 mins -- On-air Google hangout with Michael Brune and discussion about the importance of the Wilderness Act with a short Q&A at the end. The Google on air hangout will start at 5pm PST, 6pm MST, 7pm CST and 8pm EST.
3) 60 mins -- Watch the Smithsonian Channel special Wilderness Aerial America episode.
4) 20 mins -- Write letters to the editor in support of protecting more wilderness to your local papers using the templates that will be provided and take the online Wilderness 50 action urging the President to protect more wilderness.
5) 5 mins -- Thank you, wrap-up, social and mingling time.
Total time = Approximately 2 hours
NOTE: Smithsonian Channel is not participating in and does not endorse or oppose the Call To Action by Sierra Club.
|We apologize, but this action is no longer available. Please visit our Action Center for current opportunities: www.sierraclub.org/takeaction|