The Beat the Blues Sweepstakes is no longer open. The winner has been notified by e-mail. Thanks to everyone who entered.
Sierra Club Beat the Blues - Get Outdoors! Sweepstakes Official Rules
1. How to enter: No purchase necessary. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. The Sierra Club Beat the Blues - Get Outdoors! Sweepstakes ("Sweepstakes") begins at 12:00 a.m. Pacific standard time (PST) on December 19, 2006, and ends at midnight PST on February 28, 2007 ("entry period"). To enter, go to www.sierraclub.org/getoutdoors. Follow the directions to complete the entry form and click Submit. Entrants must complete all data requested on the form. Entrants will receive Sierra Club's biweekly email newsletter, the Sierra Club Insider, and will be informed of Sierra Club issues and special offers.
If you do not wish to receive the Sierra Club's biweekly email newsletter and to be informed of Sierra Club issues and special offers via email or to enter online, you may also enter the Sweepstakes by printing your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address (optional), the words " Sierra Club Beat the Blues - Get Outdoors! Sweepstakes" on a 3-by-5 inch card and mailing it to: Sierra Club Beat the Blues - Get Outdoors! Sweepstakes, 85 Second St., 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-3459. The Sierra Club must receive all entries by February 28, 2007. Limit one entry per person. All entries become the property of the Sierra Club and will not be acknowledged or returned. Illegible, photocopied, incomplete, or other mechanically reproduced entries are void.
The Sierra Club assumes no responsibility for lost, late, misdirected, stolen, illegible, mutilated, altered, damaged, incomplete, or postage-due entries or for any computer, online, telephone, cable, network, electronic, or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability, traffic congestion, or garbled or jumbled transmissions or service provider, Web site, or other accessibility or availability issues, unauthorized human intervention, or any other error, omission, or technical malfunction that may occur. Entrants shall be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain name associated with the submitted e-mail address.
2. Eligibility: The Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United States (excluding Puerto Rico, Tennessee, and Rhode Island) who are 18 years of age or older on the date the Sweepstakes begins. Employees of the Sierra Club and its subsidiaries, affiliates, prize suppliers, and advertising and promotional agencies, their immediate families (spouses, parents, children, and siblings and their spouses), and individuals living in the same household as such employees are ineligible. The Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of the United States and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void in Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Rhode Island, and wherever prohibited by law with no exceptions.
3. Judging: The winner will be selected by a random drawing around March 30, 2007, from all eligible entries received. The prize drawing will be conducted at the Sierra Club's office at 85 Second St., San Francisco, CA 94105-3459. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received. Limit one prize per person, family, or household from any Sierra Club-sponsored contest or Sweepstakes. The winner will be notified via e-mail, U.S. mail, and/or by overnight courier.
4. Prize: Prize and approximate retail value (ARV): One prize winner will receive his/her choice of one of any of Sierra Club's trips under $1,500 (one thousand five hundred dollars) OR a $1,500 (one thousand five hundred dollar) gift certificate toward any more expensive trip offered by Sierra Club Outings. The prize's total ARV is $1,500.00. See list of trips.
Prize cannot be exchanged for cash and cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion. The Sierra Club reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event any offered prize is unavailable. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except as provided for at the sole discretion of the Sierra Club.
The prize winner must complete all forms required by the Sierra Club to participate on trips offered by Sierra Club Outings (e.g., Medical Form, Participant Approval Form, and Acknowledgement of Outing Member Responsibility, Express Assumption of Risk, and Release of Liability Form) or the prize will be forfeited. Sierra Club Outings leaders review these forms to make sure that each trip applicant has the appropriate equipment, experience, and physical conditioning to participate in the outing. The leader will contact the prize winner if he/she is not approved for the trip selected. In this case, the prize winner may select another, more suitable trip, or the prize is forfeited.
5. General conditions: All federal, state, and local taxes, fees, and surcharges on prize packages are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner. The prizewinner will be required to execute and return, as directed, an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Prize Acceptance Form within ten (10) days following notification that the winner has won the prize. Return of a prize notification as undeliverable, failure to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Prize Acceptance Form, or any other failure to comply with any official rules will result in disqualification and the selection of an alternate winner. Each winner grants the Sierra Club the right to use and publish his or her legal name and state of residence online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Sweepstakes. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for the Sierra Club and its affiliates and their advertising and promotional agencies to use the prizewinner's names and likenesses for editorial, advertising, and promotional purposes without payment of additional compensation unless prohibited by law. By entering, participants release and hold harmless the Sierra Club and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents, and representatives from any and all liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Sweepstakes, any prize won, any misuse or malfunction of any prize awarded, participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity, or participation in the Sweepstakes.
As a condition of participating in the Sweepstakes, the participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively, before a court of competent jurisdiction located in San Francisco, CA, which court shall apply the laws of the state of the California without regard for rules of conflicts of law. In any such dispute, the participant shall, under no circumstances, be entitled to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than the participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (if any) associated with participating in the Sweepstakes, and the participant hereby waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. Caution: Any attempt by a contestant or any other individual to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, the Sierra Club reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
6. Limitations of liability: The Sierra Club is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information caused by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of submissions in the Sweepstakes, including but not limited to any misprints or typographical errors or computer failure. The Sierra Club assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, deletion, defect, theft, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of completion as planned--including by reasons of tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Sierra Club that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes--the Sierra Club reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Sweepstakes.
7. Names of the winner: For the winner's name, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope after March 31, 2007, to: Sierra Club Beat the Blues - Get Outdoors! Sweepstakes, 85 Second St., 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-3459.